Simple car care tips getting your car ready for the winter months ahead. Unfortunately we are heading into the Autumn season leading up to winter months. Simple car care checks to ensure you don"t break down or risk breaking the law.
- Check your lights to ensure they are all working correctly, and no damage or cracks that may let in water
- Check your wiper blades to ensure they clear the windscreen fully.
- Check your screen wash and use an additive to prevent freezing.
- Check your engine oil. Not all cars have a dipstick these days however like BMW you can check the data on your i-Drive system
- Check your engine coolant level and any doubts to the strength of the anti-freeze please get this professionally checked as it will cause a very expensive repair if your engine suffers frost damage. An easy check that could save you thousands.
- If possible run the engine to temperature and check the cooling fans are operating correctly. You should hear them and feel the warm air being dispensed once they operate when standing by them Over heating an engine can cause expensive repairs which can be avoided with a simple check that needs no mechanical knowledge.
- Check your tyres for wear/uneven wear/ pressure and depth of tread.Treat 3mm as nearing wanting replacing. Good tyres save lives and they are not expensive these days. They not only effect the handling characteristics of your car, but the braking efficiency too. Check the sidewall for bulges/imperfections and cuts.
- Check your windscreen for chips as these can be professionally repaired for as little as £40 and save you needing a new windscreen. Some insurance companies even offer this service as they understand the saving it can represent.
- Lubricate your door locks and hinges. Reduces the risk of door locking failure and will help prevent your locks from freezing. WD-40 is good proven brand as it repels water too.
- Visually walk round and Inspect the bodywork. Untreated stone chips / scratches could develop into more major issues especially when the roads have been salted. A quick touch up or a professional smart repair could enhance the future value of your car.
If you are not confident to replace or check any of the above, your local car workshop will offer a supply and fitting service. You do not need any mechanical knowledge to carry out the checks above, and it could save you thousands.
These checks are carried out as standard on our used approved cars we have for sale. Flexible car finance offers available and part exchange welcome call us today on 01462 457645 to book your viewing or to find out more. Quality used approved cars for sale in Hitchin Hertfordshire at Master Cars trading since 1989. Your Local RAC and Trading Standards Approved Used Car Dealer to see our full range of quality used approved RAC inspected cars for sale click here View our cars for sale